How we help enrich lives
If we are going to help our residents live better, then it is our responsibility to offer them every opportunity to be actively engaged and involved. At Extendicare Kirkland Lake, we provide social and recreational services seven days a week - including holidays. These services are designed to meet the physical, emotional, spiritual, and intellectual needs of our residents. All activities are developed, organized and led by qualified staff and we offer both group and individualized services to meet residents’ unique needs and circumstances. Examples of our recreational services and activities include:
- Music and Memory: Residents living with dementia can have their own personal playlist loaded on an iPod and listen with earphones to their favourite music.
- Spic 'n Span Spectacles: Staff clean the spectacles of all residents who wear glasses. It gives them a brief one-on-one encounter with each resident so that they can gauge their mood and chat for a few minutes about how they are feeling.
- Monthly Activity Auction: For every activity they attend or participate in, they get 50 fake "auction dollars". Staff and Resident Council purchase small items such as jewelry, clocks, toiletries and, at the monthly auction, residents get to bid on the items with their Activity Auction dollars.
- Birthday Parties: We host monthly parties with live entertainment to celebrate all the birthdays of the month.
- Intergenerational Program: Features visits from children in the local home school group every second Friday morning. The children come in and spend the morning singing songs, reading books, doing puzzles, making crafts and then having lunch with our residents.
- Saturday Night Maple Leaf Hockey Pool: For 50 cents you buy a space on the board and everybody cheers for the Leafs. In summer, the program switches to the Blue Jays.
- Annual Talent Show: Residents get to showcase their talents and put on a show for family members, staff and fellow residents.
- 50's & 60's TV Show Dinner Night: Once a month, all the popular shows from the 50's and 60's run during dinner and into the evening.
- Ladies of Isabella Sing-Along: Once a month the church group leads a French sing-along and tea with all our French-speaking residents.
- Finnish Culture Celebration: We also have a strong Finnish heritage in our community so once a month the Finnish Club comes to our home to host a lunch and celebration of the Finnish culture.
- Bowling Tournament: Our weekly bowling tournament is very popular with residents. It's so popular that the residents from our Timmins home come over to join in the fun.
We also offer a wide range of physiotherapy, cognitive, speech and occupational therapies according to the needs of our residents. Currently we offer: